[ExI] shape shifting starlets, was: RE: proto-bitcoin

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Tue Apr 23 14:42:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013, Andrew Mckee wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 08:00:17 +1200, Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:
>
> >Ok, so he was a bastard but by some other comment (but whose?) he also
> >treated humans as pets, right? So, the sum of his bads and goods is
>
> Think that was me paraphrasing the character of 'Data' from one of the STTNG
> episodes.

Correct! I knew I had read a message, yet when I wanted to find it again,
to verify sender, I couldn't.

> But Q didn't treat humans as pets, I / Data said Q acted as if he had a
> fondness for the human species - much like we humans have a fondness for
> our own pets.

I see. Well, I don't think I watched enough ST to have my own opinion on
Q. Seems that he could have been a bastard or he could have acted with
some higher goal in mind, like a dentist.

> >- Battlestar Galactica, plus spinoffs - my fav, plenty of great cyborgs,
[...]
> Your talking about the remake, and yep it was pretty good I thought,

Correct again. I wouldn't mind watching older version but cables don't
think so. BTW, "V" mentioned by me was a remake/sequel, too.

> right up till the last episode which had me gaging WTF!!!s for a while.
>
> But it was the same with 'Lost' as well, Deus Ex Machina does not
> happily wrap up a series as many Hollywood screenwriters seem to believe
> it does.

Yep, definitely. I tend to remember good middle (if there was any) and get
over with whatever trick they do in the last episode to make ends meet.
And "Lost", after certain moment, became tired and old. I watched last two
seasons mostly out of inertia. Terminator, however, was really keeping the
level up to the very end (IMHO). I was surprised it had been made by the
same Hollywood. But it could be my fondness for robots. BSG, too, was
holding water until the very end. And their "mystical derailing" wasn't
very bad for me, but again, if you like a cyborg and cyborg gets mystic,
you end up liking mystic cyborg.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola