[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Nov 5 12:35:07 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-05 01:06, spike wrote:

> OK now I am more puzzled than ever.

I share in the puzzlement.

And remember, this is just earth-like planets - if life can function in
Europa-like oceans, ammonia, methane, liquid nitrogen, sulphuric acid,
or supercritical carbon dioxide solvents the number of potential
life-bearing worlds pushes up enormously.

Say we assign only 1% chance to Europa-like reducing water biospheres
being possible, and given that Europa-like places look slightly more
common in the solar system than earthlike places, we should expect a
distribution with 99% probability of 8.8 potential biospheres and 1%
probability with up to 20 billion potential biospheres. Now we can
repeat for the other biospheres (with weighting for the ranges of
liquidity). The end result is that our prior distribution of the number
of potential biospheres likely should look like an exponential
distribution, with a mean significantly higher than just 8.8 billion
worlds.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute