[ExI] Immeasurable hubris

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Sep 9 10:38:17 UTC 2014

Tomaz Kristan <protokol2020 at gmail.com> , 8/9/2014 12:53 AM:
Anders!

The least I want is some kind of arms race around those algorithms. So I don't talk a lot about details. But it is very on-topic here to inform about the possibility of quite sudden breakthrough here or there.
Hmm. I see your point. At the same time there is a kind of paradox in trying to do something sensible with a potential information hazard: nobody really pays attention unless you demonstrate something impressive, and then everybody takes off to do it. It is hard to argue that X is a potential risk or opportunity unless somebody has demonstrated it - which is why so much AI and synthetic biology safety discussion is more stupid than it should be.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University