[ExI] IoT futurists' predictions - not bad

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Dec 6 21:28:27 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of BillK

>...Point 6 says that security for billions of IoT devices will be
important.

>...In my opinion it will be a showstopper. At present banks get hacked for
millions. If they can't even protect banks then there is no chance that they
will be successful in protecting our devices. Every device will be hackable,
transmitting our data, listening to conversations, recording through
cameras. etc.

>...The only protection will be not to have any of these devices - Luddites
Live!

>...BillK

Well OK but hold that thought a minute.

BillK, we know there are some advantages available to being completely open.
I set up my banking such that it cannot be accessed online.  I filled out
the paperwork such that if I want to draw money out of a savings account or
transfer anything from a stock fund, etc, I have to go in person to my bank
and carry out the transaction, or my bride can do it.

I have a checking account that can be accessed, but I don't carry a high
balance in there, couple thousand, average, send paychecks over to it, pay
bills out of it electronically.  So that would manage my risk, ja?  I have
those new video security cameras on my house, four of them, and a security
system, so a break-in is unlikely, even if I am away from home for a while.
If I decide nothing else in my life needs to be private, there are big
advantages, plenty of them.

We can easily imagine a class of people who are perfectly OK with the whole
world knowing our current location, our habits, spending and otherwise, with
visuals if they want them.  We see plenty of people over on FaceBook
intentionally telling the world way more than we want to know about their
personal affairs.  So what of us who don't care who knows what?

Since our children are growing up in an era where no one has a reasonable
expectation of privacy outside our homes, it is not surprising how accepting
that generation has become.  My son has no real concept of privacy and
doesn't miss it.  I don't care much; I know that if I ever go to a hotel
room, that anyone might be watching everything I do with sufficient
resolution to count the hairs, on my head or anywhere else.  But I am not
that interesting.  My transactions aren't that interesting.  So I am good
with it.  Are you?