[ExI] Alexander Chislenko article on English Wikipedia in danger of deletion

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Sun Mar 6 17:37:44 UTC 2016

I wrote:

>>This cannot stand. Sooner or later­ preferably sooner ­Wikipedia will be
>>reformed. Or it will be re-formed, in a successor project, as we've seen
>>with many other open source efforts.

Fred replied:

>Attempting to recreate or reform Wikipedia might
>be a bit difficult.  If the immediate concern is about what is being deleted

My concerns are many.

Another is how they handle divisive questions,
which they're supposed to balance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view

One they handled excellently: There's a city
known alternately as Gdansk and Danzig. It is
currently in Poland, where it is known as Gdansk.
The article about it uses Gdansk for those
periods in its history when it went by that name
and Danzig for those periods it went by that name.

Versus the article on Caitlyn ± Bruce Jenner.
Which I think should similarly use the pronouns
that correspond to the gender that Jenner was
known as at the time being written about.
Instead, female pronouns are used throughout.

Or the policies on "original research" and
articles a contributor might have personal knowledge of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:No_original_research
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Biographies_of_living_persons

In my case, two in my family have articles.
Several others could; they meet WP notability
standards. At least twelve of us are mentioned in
WP. I have not edited or written articles about
any—it's not worth jumping through WP's policy hoops.

-- David.