[ExI] Humans losing freewill

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 20:43:11 UTC 2016

I don't think algebra or trigonometry is wrong, so at least one of those
assumptions must be.

  John K Clark

Sometimes we just have to assume things without good evidence.  In the
absence of compelling data, we assume that a person meant to do what they
did, and use that as the basis for a legal decision.

Determinism fits in here too:  we have to assume it in criminal cases, just
like free will, even though both constructs are arguable.

When something better comes along, we may have to change
our way of thinking about people and re-write our entire legal system.  But
for now, we have no good alternatives.

We bend the assumptions we have too.  We excuse certain behaviors by minors
and by mentally challenged people as if they cannot have full intent.  (I
think this is ridiculous.  They knew what they were doing.)

Anyone want to get rid of the idea of determinism?  Replace it with what?

As for the math you talk about, how can algebra and trig be 'wrong' when
they give answers that work in the 'real world'?

bill w