[ExI] Humans losing freewill

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 23:15:47 UTC 2016

On 20 November 2016 at 22:52, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> I do love someone who wants their words defined properly.  Yet, in everyday
> conversation, I'll bet that you use words like 'instinct', 'intuition', 'gut
> feelings' and more and cannot give a proper, that is to say, a more
> scientific definition than is usual among the insufficiently educated.
>
> And if you don't, then welcome to my club!

An excellent source for philosophical musings is the Stanford
Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
<http://plato.stanford.edu/index.html>

The freewill chapter is
<http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/freewill/>

Quotes:
“Free Will” is a philosophical term of art for a particular sort of
capacity of rational agents to choose a course of action from among
various alternatives. Which 'sort' is the free will sort is what all
the fuss is about. (And what a fuss it has been: philosophers have
debated this question for over two millennia, and just about every
major philosopher has had something to say about it.)
--------
The majority view, however, is that we can readily conceive willings
that are not free. Indeed, much of the debate about free will centers
around whether we human beings have it, yet virtually no one doubts
that we will to do this and that.
--------

BillK