[ExI] Humans losing freewill

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 15:49:30 UTC 2016

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 6:15 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> An excellent source for philosophical musings is the Stanford
> ​ ​
> Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
> <http://plato.stanford.edu/index.html>
>
> The freewill chapter is
> <http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/freewill/>
>
> Quotes:
> “Free Will” is a philosophical term of art for a particular sort of
> capacity of rational agents to choose a course of action from among
> various alternatives.

​If the agent is indeed rational then there were reasons, causes, why he
chose X and not Y. If there were no reason for choosing X and not Y then he
was irrational and his behavior random. ​There are only 2 possibilities,
you did what you did for a reason or you did what you did for no reason.
You're either a roulette wheel or a
​ ​c
uckoo clock.

> ​> ​
> Indeed, much of the debate about free will centers
> ​ ​
> around whether we human beings have it,

​Yes there are many debates among philosophers on the subject, some say we
have "free will" others say we do not have "free will". I say both sides
quite literally ​don't know what they're talking about. Tell me what "free
will" means or give me an example to show me what "free will" means and
then I'll be willing to ponder the question of if human beings have this
property or not; but until then it's just gibberish.

​Free will is an idea so bad it's not even wrong.​

​  John ​K Clark