[ExI] Aquarium of the Bay Introduces New AR and VR Attractions

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Aug 15 22:32:59 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:20 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Aquarium of the Bay Introduces New AR and VR Attractions

>>… but hey, they are young, nothing can ever happen to them.  I was their age once.  I think.  spike

>…Woke up a few hours later having vomited all over myself - was supine.  Stood in the shower fully clothed and felt lower than whale shit.  Truly a miracle that I did not aspirate it and die right there…

Ja, we lucky modern people can have plenty of fun without a drop of alcohol or… whatever units dope comes in.  Milligrams?  You don’t need any of it.  Young people can have so much fun now, the computer stuff, the virtual reality games, all the future they have to look forward to, oh my.  No chemicals necessary, plenty of potential for wasting precious youth, plenty.

I did a stupid-ass stunt on a motorcycle that could well have cost me my life, but I can’t blame alcohol.  It was just plain old natural stupidity rather than chemical induced.  Life went on.

>…High IQ does not equal having other kinds of intelligence.  bill w

What we define as high IQ is high ability on IQ tests.  Cool good for me, I have always liked doing those things.  They are like a puzzle or a game.

The debate rages on about what it means, but consider the recent passing of a musician I really liked since forever, Glen Campbell.  That guy never had formal training, never read music, just seemed to be born with a talent.  He was a natural.  So where does that come from, and how do we measure it?  Why doesn’t that count as a form of IQ?

Consider those who do great on IQ tests, but they seem so messed up in ways that surprise us.  You hang out with them for ten minutes and you want to say: Pal, whaaaat in the heeeellll is the matter with you?

There are plenty of things we don’t understand about the human mind.