[ExI] naproxen update

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 16:51:57 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 9:09 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 August 2017 at 14:08, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> > I referred some of you to People's PHarmacy where there is an article on
> > nsaids that was more than a bit alarming about the possibilities of heart
> > problems with those drugs.
> >
> > https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2017/05/11/really-bad-
> news-about-ibuprofen-naproxen-and-other-nsaids/
> >
> > I have taken naproxen for several years.  Waking up in the morning was
> > accompanied by pains in my shoulders and hips.  The Dr. put me on 500mg
> > twice a day and I have had no more osteoarthritis pain.
> >
> > But as a result of the nsaid article I quit the naproxen cold turkey, and
> > guess what?  The pain did not return!  Now osteo does not heal itself,
> so it
> > must the other drugs.
> >
> > I began researching, with the help of a lawyer in the Ex chat group
> (whose
> > name won't come to me right now) and as a result I take the following:
> >
> > alpha lipoic acid, boswellia and curcumin, turmeric, ashwaganda,
> > benfotiamine, B6, B12, optimized folate, sour cherry concentrate (mixed
> with
> > lemonade), magnesium, metformin, KI2, D3, fish oil
> >
> > Something(s) on that list are taking care of my joint inflammation.
> >

> The UK NHS says that there is no cure for osteoarthritis (as it is due
> to joint wear and tear) but surprisingly recommends first to lose
> weight and exercise. But don't overdo it! Do it gradually.  :)
>
> Quote:
> If osteoarthritis causes you pain and stiffness, you may think
> exercise will make your symptoms worse.
> However, regular exercise that keeps you active, builds up muscle and
> strengthens the joints usually helps to improve symptoms.
> Exercise is also good for losing weight, improving your posture and
> relieving stress, all of which will ease symptoms.
> --------
>
> Of course, this is the best choice for many medical troubles.  :)
>
> They then also discuss various painkillers, injections, etc. starting
> with the weakest to find the weakest dose that works for the patient.
> But they all have a long list of possible side-effects and people that
> specific painkillers are not suitable for.
>
> BillK

​Yeah, well, why not try some of the otc remedies that I take?  Works as
well as naproxen for me - not as a pain killer but as a remedy for
inflammation, which of course does cause other pains. No physician I have
asked has recommended any kind of exercise for osteo.  My abilities to do
those are very limited anyway. Walk​.

The truth is that I have never been sure that all or any of my supplements
have done me any good at all.  Now I know!

bill w