[ExI] Thousands of scientists pledge not to help build killer AI robots

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 20:10:07 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 7:56 AM,  <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> I am reluctant to even post the notion for fear it could end mass spectacle sporting events.

You can safely assume that any such thing posted here, at least one
bad guy has probably already thought of.

> As far as I can tell, we have no defense against that sorta thing, but we should.  At the last local July 4 fireworks display I noticed there were quad drones all over the place as pilots realized they could get a terrific show from inside the area where the explosions are taking place.

Laws are starting to come out to ban that sort of thing.  In
California, there is already a law forbidding drones from interfering
with firefighting operations; from what I hear (which could be
incorrect), in the few incidents there have been so far, the people
trying to get a better shot and not thinking about anyone else using
the airspace, took no care to conceal themselves (because, again, they
weren't thinking about anyone else using the airspace) and were thus
found readily enough.  This precedent will help, but only so much, if
law enforcement faces people who are concealing themselves.