[ExI] de Waal

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Feb 22 18:41:17 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 7:48 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] de Waal

So at some time in our evolutionary past, the
trait for religion (or something linked with it) must have been
valuable to our genes.  keith

>…  No need for a push from genetics.

>…A far more difficult thing, in my opinion, is the origin of the concept of the immortal soul.  I am working on that one…bill w

Eh, that is an easy one too: the kings and nobles needed some means of convincing the young men to go out and risk death on the field of battle.  They offered them honor (which has its costs in a sense), and in some cases land (which is expensive.)  But to offer them 72 virgins or an eternal afterlife was cheap.

Somewhere in this discussion I am looking for the notion that religious people work together well as a team.