[ExI] Science or Science

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 23:56:50 UTC 2018

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 1:11 PM Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com> wrote:

*> I wanted to see how you tried to distinguish signs
> of intelligence/consciousness in something very much larger than you were.
> In something so very different than a human being, what
> constitutes intelligent behavior and what constitutes merely complex
> behavior might be hard to distinguish.*

I don't think it would be hard to distinguish. If something is enormously
complex but not intelligent we should have some idea of what its going to
do next at least probabilistically, the weather would be a example of that;
but if something is not just complex but is also far more intelligent that
we are then we couldn't predict what it will do even approximately, but
after the fact we could see a pattern in its activities that didn't look
random. There is nothing in nature that is known to behave that way.

John K Clark