[ExI] dna

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 17:08:50 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019, 12:53 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> >…This whole thing has me thinking: I can see some really good
> justifications for preserving both the complete DNA and all that

Preserving dna should be about converting it to data via sequencing,  then
using the usual method for preserving data in the short term (a few
decades) or more exotic storage for longer.   200 gigabytes worth of data
as bumps at election microscope scale wouldn't even cost much on a gold
foil.  We could laser etch some diamonds and your data could be a highly
collectible jewelry.

You could also send it into deep space as a pulse of radio information,
but retrieving that data might be tricky.