[ExI] ai emotions

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 22:39:58 UTC 2019

Hi Stuart,

“Consciousness is not magic, it is math.”

How do you get a specific, qualitative definition of the word “red” from
any math?

“I don't think that substrate-specific details matter that much.”

Then you are not talking about consciousness, at all.  You are just talking
about intelligence.  Consciousness is computationally bound elemental
qualities, for which there is something, qualitative, for which it is like.

“It is irrelevant that I perceive red as green.”

Can you not see how sloppy language like this is?  I’m going to describe at
least two very different possible interpretations of this statement.  If
you can’t distinguish between them, with your language, then again, you are
not talking about consciousness:

1.       One person is color blind, and represents both red things and
green things with knowledge that has the same physical redness quality.  In
other words, he is red green color blind.

2.       One person is qualitatively inverted from the other.  He uses the
other’s greenness to represent red with and visa versa for green things.

You can’t tell which one you’re statement is talking about.  Again, you’re
not talking about consciousness, if you can’t distinguish between these
types of things with your models and language.

Sure, before Galileo, it didn’t matter if you used a geocentric model of
the solar system or a heliocentric.  But now that we’re flying up in the
heavens, one works, and one does not.  Similarly, now, you can claim that
the qualitative nature doesn’t matter, but as soon as you start hacking the
brain, amplifying intelligence, connecting multiple brains (like two brain
hemispheres can be connect) or even religiously predicting what “spirits”
and future consciousness will be possible.  One model works, the other does
not.  In fact, my prediction is the reason we can’t better understand how
we subjectively represent visual knowledge, is precisely because everyone
is like you, qualia blind, and doesn’t care that some people may have
qualitatively very different physical representations of red and green.

If you only care about if a brain can pick strawberries, and don’t care
what it is qualitatively like, then you can’t make the critically important
distinctions between these 3 robots
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YnTMoU2LKER78bjVJsGkxMsSwvhpPBJZvp9e2oJX9GA/edit?usp=sharing>
that are functionally the same but qualitatively very different, one being
not conscious at all.

“Nothing in the universe can objectively observe anything else.”

All information that comes to our senses is “objectively” observed and
devoid of any physical qualitative information, it is all only abstract
mathematical information.  Descartes, the ultimate septic, realized that he
must doubt all objectively observed information.  But he also realized: “I
think therefore I am”.  This includes the knowledge of the qualities of our
consciousness.  We know, absolutely, in a way that cannot be doubted, what
physical redness is like, and how it is different than greenness.  While it
is true that we may be a brain, in a vat.  We know, absolutely, that the
physics, in the brain, in that vat exist, and we know, absolutely and
qualitatively, what that physics (in both hemispheres) is like.

Let’s say you did objectively detect some new “perceptronium”.  All you
would have, describing that perceptronium, is mathematical models and
descriptions of such.  These mathematical descriptions of perceptronium
would all be completely devoid of any qualitative meaning.  Until you
experienced a particular type of perceptronium, directly, you would not
know, qualitatively, how to interpret any of your mathematical objective
descriptions of such.

Again, everything you are talking about is what Chalmers, and everyone
would call “easy” problems.  Discovering and objectively observing any kind
of “perceptronium” is an easy problem.  We already know how to do this.
Knowing, qualitatively, what that perceptronium is qualitatively like, if
you experienced it, directly, is what makes it hard.

The only “hard” part of consciousness is the “Explanatory Ga
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explanatory_gap>p”, or how do you eff the
ineffable nature of qualia.  Everything else is just easy problems.  We
already know, mathematically what it is like to be a bat.  But that tells
you nothing, qualitatively about what being a bat is like.