[ExI] Red and green qualia

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 01:42:34 UTC 2019

John,

“For example, would the subjective experience of somebody who saw the world
in black and white be different from somebody who saw the world in red and
black? I don't think it would although we'll never know for sure.”

I hear you saying something very different (redness vs whiteness) is not
different?  It could still function the same, is that what you mean?
Because it would be very qualitatively different, right? as it is very
different in these 3 functionally equivalent robots that are qualitatively
very different
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YnTMoU2LKER78bjVJsGkxMsSwvhpPBJZvp9e2oJX9GA/edit?usp=sharing>
?

And of course, your claim “we’ll never know for sure.” is certainly a
falsifiable claim.  Everyone supporting “Representational Qualia Theory
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Representational-Qualia/6#statement>” is
predicting these claims will soon be falsified, once experimentalists stop
being qualia blind.

And thanks Dylan for pointing out that red green color blind “bichromats”
have very different qualia than normal trichromats.  I look forward to when
you can experience what it is like for us trichromats, just as I look
forward to experiencing what it is like for the rare tetrachromats.  And I
would bet there is a good chance that some bats use my redness qualia to
represent some of what their echolocation detects.  In other words, lots of
diversity possibilities within the same species, and lots of similarity
possible in different species.