[ExI] Update on the Hawaiian observatory shutdown

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Thu Sep 19 03:30:29 UTC 2019

Quoting Rafal Smigrodzki:

>  Science *should* be a common concern, it should not be seen as the
> domain of indifferent eggheads and inscrutable hierarchies but
> unfortunately many enemies of science, like the SJWs you mentioned,
> see the rigor of science as an obstacle in their bid for power. In
> that respect, the Hawaiian rioters are identical to SJWs - the
> telescope is a casualty in a war they started.
> ----------------------------

The telescope is only a casualty if the money is spent somewhere else.
If astronomers are patient, they may not have to settle for the second
best locale.

> ### It takes two sides to have a game. If the umpire says they lost
> but they still go up a mountain and harass the winners, they are no
> sportsmen, and they should not be treated as such. What we see there
> is not a game, it's a dirty fight.  --------------

Game or dirty fight, they are winning this round because federal law
is on their side:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Indian_Religious_Freedom_Act

> ### Did I write something implying I advocate "absolute
> individualism"? ---------------

No, I just wanted to remind you that in addition to laws that are more
or less enforceable, a multicultural empire is held together by common
interests on the part of all the constituent cultures, outweighing
their irreconcilable differences. Laws and common interest are the
glue holding our civilization together.

We must reconcile with the native Hawaiians or risk violating our own
laws to remove them from the mountain by force. That is the reality of
the situation for the time being.

But by being patient astronomers might turn a loss into a mere delay.
There is a mere 4% differential between the native Hawaiians who
support the telescope versus those that don't.

Sooner or later the older Kapuna will die off and the younger natives
will realize that a sky god can have no finer temple than a telescope
that can see to the edge of creation.

Stuart LaForge