[ExI] Quantum Supremacy

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 12:18:47 UTC 2019

There is a rumor that a team of researchers at Google led by John Martinis
have performed a calculation on a Quantum Computer in three minutes and 20
seconds that would have taken Summit, the most powerful conventional
supercomputer in the world, 10,000 years to perform.  The rumor started
when a paper stating that was posted by the Google team, apparently
accidentally, on a NASA website and then quickly taken down. It's not clear
exactly what the calculation was about, they just said it “marks the first
computation that can only be performed on a quantum processor". My guess is
it was probably a weird function of some sort that would not be of much use
to a scientist or engineer, but if true it would be a first proof of
concept and be earthsharing. I suppose they want to check and recheck
their work before they make a official announcement this important.

 John K Clark