[ExI] the science might be wrong

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 11:49:22 UTC 2020

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 1:50 AM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <

> It’s certain that a complete lockdown where everyone stays home for six
> weeks will eliminate the virus. That isn’t practical, so it has to be a
> partial lockdown. But a partial lockdown that is insufficiently stringent
> may be more prolonged and cause economic harm for little benefit. There is
> a certain optimal level of restriction which is to be determined
> empirically and perhaps through mathematical modelling.

### I don't need modeling to know that it's impossible to completely lock
down 8 billion people for six weeks (BTW, why six weeks? That's a
completely bogus duration, too). If only one chain of infection survives
the lockdown, you are back to square one regarding the pandemic except for
the tens of trillions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of lives lost to
such a global lockdown.

Rafal