[ExI] very informative

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Tue Dec 29 17:36:26 UTC 2020

Dan Ust wrote

On 2020-12-28 21:00, spike jones wrote:
 > It doesn't justify them.  These things you listed cannot be
 > justified, so it cannot legitimately be conflated with nationalism.

They're different because nationalism *can* be justified?  <derisive
snort>  But that aside:

Are you really that ingenuous?  The point was that many people pretend
(or persuade themselves) that the sanctity of the Nation does justify
cruelties, and too many other people swallow it, even if you don't.

 >> Again, funny how folks who claim to be libertarians have no
 >> problem bowing to the entitlement programs argument to curtail
 >> freedom. Would you, again, be willing to curtain gun rights as long
 >> as there are medical entitlements?

Or the freedom to take physical risks for oneself?  (I assume that some
here have read "With Folded Hands" ... or any column by Lenore Skenazy)

 > Gun rights are human rights.  It is based on the human right to
 > lethal self-defense.

(I'd say rather a right of *effective* self-defense, not limited by the
possibility of incidental death, rather than a right to kill.  "Stopping
power" is not a mere euphemism.)

 > Entitlements came later.  Those two cannot be conflated.  Conflating
 > those two leads to violations of human rights.

Remind me, who argued a moment ago that the existence of tax-based
entitlements overrides freedom of movement and association?

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org