[ExI] early indications of an unfriendly ai

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Oct 1 23:45:30 UTC 2020

...> On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] early indications of an unfriendly ai

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 6:30 PM spike jones via extropy-chat
>>...Yeah... Heck, I've seen homeless people with smartphones.  Regards,
>>Dan
>
>>... Well of course they do, Dan.  How else could they process donations?
> I don't know how it is in Australia, but yanks don't carry cash anymore.

>...I'm not sure how it is in Australia either. I'm still puzzled that you
believe I'm in Australia. :)

Oy vey, I don't know why I do crap like that.  My apologies.  If I conflate
you with my Australia contact again, do pardon please.  If you meant Squire
Creek Pass near Boulder River, oh boy I envy you.  That is some of the most
beautiful country up that way, Mountain Loop Hwy where I have done
motorcycles trips.

>>... Ours must be a most puzzling world to non-hip older people who don't
> keep up.

>...Given that probably half the planet's population has a smartphone by
now, is the generational divide that big? Most of the older people I know
personally seem to be using the phones for much of this stuff -- though I
admit they're often surprised that you can tap the phone to pay.  Regards,
Dan

I had plenty of warning.  I was with some hipsters back over 20 yrs ago.
They demonstrated how to zip money to each other using the precursor to the
smart phones, what were those things called?  A Newton?  Personal Digital
Assistant?

One guy had written an app which was a way to share a bill when several guys
went to lunch together.  It was an electronic gaming die of sorts.  All
parties, say there are 5, would spin a dial on the screen with the cursor,
it would generate a number, the five devices would gather the numbers from
each of the other four devices and each would do some kind of algorithm to
calculate which of the five pays the bill for all.  Then instead of paying a
fifth of the bill, it would roll to see who pays the whole bill, and the
other four pay nothing.