[ExI] sturgis - washington post

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 01:04:01 UTC 2020

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 12:54 AM spike jones via extropy-chat
> From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
>>...Comedy has never gotten better than Jeeves and Wooster.  ...spike
>
> Dan we had a local ExI gathering a few years ago when Damien Broderick
> came to town.  You have never seen a table of geeks laugh harder than
> when Damien was trying to do an American accent.
>
> Hugh Laurie (who played Wooster) later did a terrific medical detective
> series called House.  He played an American doctor.  For the role he had
> to put on an American accent.  He is a very talented guy and could do it
> almost without being detectable.

Bit of synchronicity. I finished watching 'The Night Manager' series
which has Hugh Laurie as a British arms dealer. So no American accent
there. :) (And, yeah, I'm a fan of House.) Regarding Laurie, though,
and not to knock his talents at all, but there are plenty of British
(and Australian) actors who pass for Americans in film and TV roles.
Heck, in The Walking Dead, there's at least three major characters who
are English.

> I saw an interview where he and Steven Fry arranged to meet for dinner.  Laurie had just come from shooting a House episode.  He forgot to turn off the American accent.  Fry doesn't think highly of yanks.  He scolded his old friend: Come on Hugh, snap out of it man, etc.
>
> Check this:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k-T8S0lEwQ

Have to check it out later. Don't know if you recall their old show
together. I was very young when I saw it. Probably not funny now.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst