[ExI] cumulative cost of shutdown

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Apr 7 21:54:19 UTC 2021

…> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] cumulative cost of shutdown

>>… At some point, the cost exceeds the value.  We are way past the breakeven point and are deep into net loss.  spike

>… And how many lives have been saved?

Possibly none.  We know there are fatalities from covid without covid.  I have two family members in that category, a suicide we think was because of a failed business and a heart attack from failure to go to an alternative hospital after the local one went out of business.  The question becomes how many lives were lost?  We don’t know.

>…  But that has to be the other side of the equation.  People are still catching it and some are dying.  Keep that in mind.  How much damage to the economy is worth it to save a life?

I see your point, but we have no indication that shutdowns are saving lives.  They might be taking lives.

>…   Somebody has to know these things so they can make recommendations…

But they don’t.  That’s the problem.  It is speculation, with plenty of counter-evidence.