[ExI] 'Magic mushroom' compound may work just as well as antidepressants, small study finds

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Apr 24 01:44:14 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Nuala Thomson via extropy-chat
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 5:31 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: Nuala Thomson <nuala.t at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] 'Magic mushroom' compound may work just as well as antidepressants, small study finds

>…Placebo effects are extremely effective for some people. The power of brains and what and how we think affecting our lives never ceases to amaze me.

That reminded me of a couple stories I heard once but cannot find reputable sources to share.

Cancer and "spontaneous regression", and law of attraction used in terms of health. Then all the religious stuff of miracle cures and what-have-you.

Are you able to share more deeply what is going on in your head for placebo squared? I'm more than happy to try that on myself instead of another elbow operation!

Hi Nuala, well in all honesty I must reluctantly confess that placebo squared doesn’t always work.

For instance…  when I was a teenager, my prospects were few but the instinct was at a level that could be plausibly be called a malady.  I heard that cold showers would help cure that, bzzzt, they don’t.  I heard that potassium nitrate was supposed to do the trick, but that didn’t work either.  So I tried to imagine some kind of at least temporary cure, but the teenage hormones overpowered even the mighty placebo squared effect.  Mistakes were made.  More specifically, a fool was made, of myself.  Eh, plenty of us here were teenagers at some point.  Life should have a reset button of some sort, where our teenage years were just a practice run and the foolish embarrassing epic fails are deleted, or at least diminished.

Fortunately for me, my capacity for enduring embarrassment knows no bounds.

Regarding hurting my back: it goes back to an injury I sustained at age 10 in a fall.  It never quite healed right, but I dealt with it.  Now, after the chiropractor experience and the times I just had to tough it out, I believe in that case I just hafta get tough, wait for nature to take her leisurely course.

I do apologize madam, for I have no wisdom to bestow upon my faithful minion regarding your elbow.  I am an absurdly smart guy, a legend in my own mind.  But I ain’t no doctor, don’t even play one on the internet.

If it doesn’t get better on its own, look at it this way: you and I are fortunate in that we were born so late in history.  No doubt you are still more fortunate than I in that regard.  Medical science has advanced to the point where they have a lotta stuff in their bag of tricks.  Back in the olden days, they would tie a sling on it and demand you get back to work with your good arm.  This observation led to my comment to Johnny Grigg about the ruthfulness of our economy: things are better than they used to be.

See your medic.  Best wishes to you, young lady.  May you recover soon and fully.  I need all the minions I can get.

spike