[ExI] geezer guard

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jan 3 22:06:06 UTC 2021

<extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Ben Zaiboc via
extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] geezer guard

On 03/01/2021 17:12, Spike wrote:
>>... We have collectively missed Orwell's lesson.  Anyone here who has not
read Nineteen Eighty Four, please stop what you are doing and read it.
Understand what he is saying there.  It is a message for our times.

>...Yes, I second that. To my shame, I only read it relatively recently, and
immediately realised I should have done so long ago. It should be part of
everyone's education (together with in-depth explanations and discussions of
its meaning and relevance to the real world, on several levels), imo.

--
Ben Zaiboc

Ben thanks for that comment.  It warms the cockles of me heart.

This message has special meaning for me, as I have friends who lived in
Ukraine in the final days of communism.  They explain clearly why Americans
seldom understand: we have always lived in a place were everything was
money-limited rather than availability limited.  In America, if you have the
money, you can buy whatever and as much of whatever you want.  In Ukraine
during communism, people had money, but there wasn't the availability of
western goods, which is what people really wanted.  The people in the party
somehow managed to get access to these items, even without a large amount of
money.  They just knew when and where the goods would be and could make
arrangements to own those.

Hearing a description of that system from a firsthand point of view was an
eye-opener.