[ExI] Immaculate Election

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jan 18 15:08:44 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dave Sill via extropy-chat
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 6:53 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Immaculate Election

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 9:38 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

The main argument against the USA issuing national ID is that Americans have
the right to privacy encoded in the constitution, article 4.

How would an ID violate privacy?

Americans have the right to refuse any form of personal identification.  Currently it isn’t used even for in-person voting in California.  Many activities do require identification, such as driving, but voting does not.  Article 4 of the constitution forbids the government from requiring identification just to exist.

An alternative would be face recognition technology and other biometric
identification.  …

>…That would have serious privacy implications.

How well I understand that.  However, we have always had face recognition.  Now we have the technology to automate that process.  It looks to me like there is no logical way to make use of face rec tech illegal.

Our justice system sacrifices speed for public trust, which is why trials
take so long but we trust the outcome.

>…It's often too slow and many of us don't trust the outcomes.

Ja to both, but the trust would be far less if it was fast and they would take the convicted out behind the courthouse to a firing squad that day.

Our election system sacrifices
public trust for speed, which is why election results are fast but we
distrust the outcome.

>…It's OK to distrust the outcome…

Ja, distrust is growing steadily.

>… if there's evidence of a problem…

The growing distrust is evidence of a problem.  The system lacks transparency.

>…Every challenge to the 2020 election was thrown out of court because of the lack of evidence.

-Dave

What we need is evidence that would lead to more public trust.  I haven’t seen that evidence, but I have seen plenty of evidence of reduced public trust.  The system lacks transparency, which leads to public distrust.