[ExI] Synergetics?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu May 20 13:42:04 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 20, 2021, 8:25 AM JF via extropy-chat <

> Has anyone ever actually read through Fuller's Synergetics? It seems
> really odd to try and explain scientific phenomenon with geometric
> arguments. Granted I spent some time studying statistical mechanics in
> school, I just don't see anything interesting in this book at all that's
> useful for studying real complex systems. It's almost shocking how bad it
> is compared to any modern stat mech/complex systems book, and I'm tempted
> to call it pseudoscience.
>
> Does anyone actually like this book?

Never heard of it.  I can understand the appeal of so-called 'sacred
geometry' since there can be no argument from the premise "triangles have
three sides"

The number of assumptions between the premise and the conclusion, however,
means we have to pay careful attention to find the misstep/over-reach...
and it's generally more attention than I want to devote.  So I appreciate
the art as such, but refuse to accept it as science.