[ExI] teachers

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 19:07:55 UTC 2023

On Sunday, August 27, 2023, efc--- via extropy-chat <

> Hello Jason,
>
> What are the contradictions with #2? I have a feeling that there are many
> versions of 2, with strong proponents, and equally, many different kind of
> contradictions.

Let's break #2 into two categories:
A) Bodily continuity
B) Mind continuity

For A, consider: we could make small changes, atom by atom, cell by cell to
slowly morph you into becoming any other person, or even any other animal.
Since there is a continuity there's no limit to what form you might
ultimately gradually change into any form, then there is in reality no
limit or border that constrains your form, or who you could be, it refutes
itself and ends up leading to #3.

For B, consider: we can make small changes to ones mind, adding a memory
here, forgetting a memory there, so that, over time we could completely
change the mentality of a person, and they would have no memories in common
with their former self and instead have entirely new ones, making their
mind, in effect identical to any other being. Again we find no clear point
where the continuity fails, and again we are led to something like #3.

Then there are all the problems for which these give no good answer:

For A:

Why are two identical twins not the same person, when each is a continuity
of the same fertilized egg (same body)?

Why would receiving a neural prosthesis not be regarded in the same way as
death?

For B:

Why are two duplicates created by a faulty teleporter not the same person,
when each is a continuity of the same mind?

Why is total amnesia not regarded in the same way as death?

For both A and B:

If two people are each slowly morphed into the other person, where are the
two people after the procedure? Have they teleported to the other's
location, or has each changed, but remained in the same spot? Why?

When a brain is split by cutting the corpus callosum, the result is two
independently consciousness minds. Are they the same as the mind that was
there before? If not, where did the two minds come from? If the connection
were to be restored to fuse the minds, what happens to the two minds when
they become one?

If the same person can exist in the same place at the two different times,
then why can't the same person exist at two different places at the same
time?

> When it comes to #1, it does sound philosophically unfeasible to me, since
> we're two selves havinga discussion. If all is illusion, how can there even
> be any knowledge at all?

There would still be individual conscious states, each with they're own
consciousness, but nothing (actually) connecting one to any other. It's
consistent in my view, but unworkable as it provides no justification to
doing anything since we would each be trapped in our own thought moment
forever.

> When it comes to #3, I tried to google it, but it looks as if it is not a
> very popular stance among philosophers. Why do you think it is not popular?

It's relatively new, and highly counter to the brain's self-imposed
ego-illuision, which is hard to escape without serious meditation, drugs,
traumatic brain injury, or logic.

Jason