[ExI] Lomborg article

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 17:32:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:

> In Brand's terms, Bjorn Lomborg is neither a Denier nor even a Skeptic. He
> doesn't dispute that warming is happening, nor that humans are the cause. (I
> disagree with him in that I don't think we yet know the extent to which
> humans are contributing to possibly entirely or largely natural warming.)
> So, even BillK and Alfio presumably have no reason to reject his thoughts.
>
> I've read parts of his book, Cool It, and intend to review it once I've
> read the whole thing. For now, here's his latest article:
>

> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704517504574589952331068322.html?mod=rss_Today%27s_Most_Popular

I'm perfectly OK with this article, which discusses policy. Arguing that
money spent on global warming could be better spent elsewhere can be a valid
position if supported by numbers. Lomborg's arguments are, in my opinion,
the kind of arguments that people concerned with the political consequences
of global warming can and should make: propose better solutions than the
ones currently discussed, or demonstrate that leaving the thing going on is
the lesser of the various possible evils (just for clarity, this doesn't
mean messing up with the evidence to somewhat conclude that there are no
consequences. Rather, that taking action would bring in even direr
consequences). I'm a skeptical on the latter position, but that doesn't mean
that it could turn out to be true.

Alfio