[ExI] pale diet again: RE: It's not only the fittest who survive.

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon Apr 11 17:24:52 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 4:06 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, so your paleo diet won't save the world. Too expensive in resource
> usage and money.

I've never claimed that it will save the world. However, I suspect that it
can be considerably less expensive than you think, both in personal terms
and in terms of resource usage. For instance:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/09/11/animal-vegetable-or-e-o-wilson/

> >From my POV it is just another fad diet, one of thousands.

A fad diet that we lived on healthily for over two million years. That's one
enduring fad!

> A general, mixed diet, with lots of vegetables and avoiding
> over-consumption will do just fine.

Not if that mix includes plenty of carbohydrates, especially but not only
simple ones such as HFCS. I agree that avoiding overconsumption is crucial.
Modest underconsumption is even better (and keeps the costs of even a
top-class paleo diet down -- no need to eat huge grass-fed steaks or pounds
of salmon).

--
Max More
Strategic Philosopher