[ExI] The Catholic Impact (was Re: Origin of ethics and morals)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 15:27:30 UTC 2011

On 22 December 2011 15:35, Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:

> I disagree about this. The embracing of a radical identity is the mark
> of people unable to individually adapt to their living environment. This
> is true for Muslims (largely unemployable because they are without a
> sound education and with a low IQ - statistically speaking) and
> Europeans (like the recent perpetrator of two killing in Florence).

And what does it depend upon? I think that the individual ability to
integrate in a given society can probably defined by the number of the
individuals concerned in any given moment, multiplied by the degree of
ethnical and cultural distance of those same individuals.

Ten people moving from Glasgow to London are one thing, hundred of
thousands of Italians moving to NY are another, ten million people moving
from Senegal to Reykjavík would still be another one.

And, yes, some identities are more impervious than others to integration.
To be admitted as a Japanese in the Japanese society is virtually
impossible in spite of its very low degree of xenophobia, for instance. And
muslims may be less keen than others to become typical "Europeans".

But what is wrong in a little diversity under the sun? Why should we pursue
linguistic, ethnical, cultural, political, gastronomic, genetic, economic,
etc. entropy throughout the world, or accept that it be imposed on us
through deliberate melting pots? Besides the danger of putting all the eggs
in the same basket, I think that collective identities and difference are
part of the wealth and interest of our species.

Besides, cultures are born and evolve through imitations, rejections,
competition with other cultures. Different mindsets and backgrounds even
allow for a richer scientific research landscape. What when we are reduced
to practical one-worldism?

--
Stefano Vaj