[ExI] Manning and Assange

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 18:50:28 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You can blame whomever you want for whatever. I think Arab Spring was
> > probably a good thing, but it's too soon to say for sure.
>
> So you think that the turn of events in Egypt, which has been at peace
> with Israel for decades, and is now in the hands of Islamic
> fundamentalists to possibly be a good thing.

First, I said it's too soon to say for sure. Second, yes, I do think Egypt
is better off without Mubarek. Sure, I'd have preferred a
non-religious-fundamentalist, but apparently that's what the majority of
Egypt wanted. For some reason I didn't get a vote.

I can see the argument that people will behave more nicely when
> everything they say about anybody anywhere should be said in a way
> that would not be inflammatory if it were to ever go public, but don't
> we have a real necessity to occasionally be able to speak truth
> without spin?

Security is never perfect. Things meant to be private *will* sometimes be
made public, despite the best efforts to keep them private. Perhaps the
emphasis should be on minimizing the generation of material that would be
inflammatory if it was made public. Maybe our foreign policy should spend a
lot less effort on meddling in the affairs of others, e.g., by propping up
people like Qaddafi, Mubarek, Saddam Hussein, etc.

-Dave