[ExI] Do digital computers feel?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 05:47:12 UTC 2017

Hi Stathis,

Thanks for expressing all this so concisely. I hope I can be as concise
so we can make progress with this.  I think the key point in our
misunderstanding is captured by you with this:

> You're missing the point when you talk about "qualitative
> representation". *Observable behaviour* is the only thing necessary to
> consider in order to replicate *observable behaviour*. The argument is
> that if you ignore qualia and just replicate *observable behaviour*
> then the qualia will also necessarily be replicated. I gave an example
> of this which I believe is clear (tell me if not) with the
> glutamate/glycine swap.

Yes, your answer was very clear.  I agree with most of what you are
saying, but we both believe that the other is missing the point. You
first want to focus on: "If you ignore qualia and just replicate
*observable behavior* then the qualia will also necessarily be
replicated."  But even if I do agree with this, from how I see things,
it is still missing or removing some important functionality.  In the
past you never want to move beyond this, because or until this has been
settled.  The problem is, I can't point out the required functionality
being removed, until you first understand and agree with some other
things in the qualitative theory.  So, this time, could you move beyond
that, at least for a bit and digest this initial description, then given
that understanding (if you agree), I'll be able to point out the reasons
I can't yet accept this functionalist way of doing neuro substitution.

Let's start on the subjective side of things, again, with our simple 3
element system.  The system is experiencing both redness and greenness
as a unified composite qualitative experience.  So, there are two
qualitative representations of knowledge and there is a 3rd part of the
system that is binding the two different representations into one
composite experience. The fact that the system is aware of both of these
qualitative representations at the same time, is the critical base
functionality on which the comparison system is derived - outputting an
indicator that could lead to one saying they are consciously aware that
they are qualitatively the same or not.

So, given that we subjectively know that, would you agree with the
following?  There must be something that is performing the functionality
of the redness experience, and there is something that is performing the
functionality of the greenness, and there is a 3rd element that is
performing the function of binding these two representations of
information together to make a composite experience - enabling the 3rd
awareness/comparison neuron to indicate whether they are the same or not.

You seem loath to want to go there, instead, first, wanting to first
focus on: "If you ignore qualia and just replicate *observable behavior*
then the qualia will also necessarily be replicated."  But this ignoring
of qualia is the problem, and you end up removing the most important
parts of the functionality we want to observe as we neuro substitute.

Let's compare this subjective way of observing things to the objective
way of observing things, and for the time being assume it is glutamate
that has or performs the redness experience functionality, and it is
glycene that performs the greenness experience functionality.  Given
that, with subjective observation, we would experience a redness
detector and with objective observation we would see a glutamate
detector.  So, what the 3rd part of the system (we are assuming it is a
single neuron for simplicity's sake) is basically an objective and
subjective comparison system - outputting an indicator as to whether the
two representations of knowledge are functioning the same or not.  This
functionality derived from the way it binds together awareness of the
two representations of knowledge to make one composite qualitative
experience.

Now, when you say you replace glutamate with glycene, and you replace
the glutamate receptor with a glycene receptor, then assert that the
comparison neuron will behave the same, you are removing the important
comparison functionality, or simply falsifying the theory that it is
only glutamate that reliably performs the redness function (if so,
necessitating that it be something else, yet to be discovered, that is
reliably performing the redness functionality we know so well).  Both
representations of knowledge are now the same qualitative glycene (or
the greenness functionality), yet you are asserting that the output is
still indicating that the two are different.  This removal of the
correct functionality as you do the neuro substitution, is why I can't
accept your line of reasoning, along with it being the source of all the
"hard" problems.

If you assume the qualia experience functionality will arise or emerge
in some other way or some other abstracted level, then it is this other
abstracted location of qualia that can't be ignored, and must be able to
be reliably compared via composite awareness.  I am talking about doing
a neuro substitution at this level, with the required qualia comparison
functionality, not the level you are talking about, where the qualia
being compared is being removed.  If you are going to claim that a
comparison functionality can be constructed out of this simplistic lower
level (I don't see how this could be done), then provide at least one
theoretically possible description of such (as I have done with
glutamate, glycene, and a binder neuron to make a composite experience),
and with that, whatever it is, it will be obvious what happens, and why,
as the neural substitution occurs.

If you do the neural substitutuion on a system that, instead of ignoring
and removing qualia comparison, you provide any testable theoretical
method of really doing the function of qualitative comparison, it can be
obvious what is going on during the neural substitution.  Let's do this
by having two sets of such identical 3 element qualitative comparison
systems, one that doesn't change and is for constant reference
comparison purposes, and the other one is the one we will perform the
neuro substitution on.  We will bind these two systems with the same
provided binding system in a meta comparison functioning system which
will monitor and compare all the qualities, as the neural substitution
takes place on one of the systems, so you can prove to everyone, both
objectively and subjectively, exactly what it is going on, and why both
of the 3 element systems are always indicating: "It is red" even though
one is the qualia invert of the other after one of the neuro
substitution steps.  If you duplicate all this *observable behavior*,
including the meta awareness of what is going on with both systems,
there will be no hard problems when it is neuro substituted since you
are not removing the most important *observable behavior*.

Does that help?

Brent Allsop