[ExI] Cold fusion

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jun 11 16:38:48 UTC 2019

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan
Subject: Re: [ExI] Cold fusion

>…Yeah, it seems like a boiler plate sentence too.

Regards,

Dan

We know the term Black Swan event, something that is so terrible there is little point in even pondering the consequences.  An example: a meteor strikes earth, of sufficient size to kick up dust and debris causing mass extinctions and 99% of humanity to suffer a horrifying painful mass death.

Cold fusion is the opposite of a black swan event: if that ever worked out, it would solve so many of humanity’s most fundamental problems so cheaply and easily, there is little we could not accomplish.  It would be the new dawn of humanity.

I often get the feeling we allow the unlimited marvelous consequences of cold fusion to influence our research, a kind of version of buying a hundred trillion-dollar lottery ticket when the odds of winning are a ten trillion to one.  The argument could be made that such a ticket is a good deal perhaps.

What term could we use for the opposite of a black swan event?

spike

   Sample my Kindle books at:

http://author.to/DanUst