[ExI] shops opening

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 00:04:45 UTC 2020

More evidence from Spike's neck of the woods that the real rate of spread
is likely massively higher:

The  most  important  implication  of  these  findings  is  that  the
number  of  infections  is  much  greater  than  the reported  number of
cases. Our data  imply  that, by  April 1  (three  days  prior  to  the
end  of  our  survey) between  48,000  and  81,000  people  had  been
infected  in  Santa  Clara  County.  The  reported  number  of confirmed
positive  cases  in  the  county  on  April  1  was  956,  50-85-fold
lower than  the  number of infections  predicted  by  this  study.17  The
infection  to  case  ratio,  also  referred  to  as  an
under-ascertainment rate, of at least 50,  is meaningfully  higher than
current estimates.10,18   This  ascertainment  rate  is  a fundamental
parameter of many  projection  and  epidemiologic  models, and  is used  as
a  calibration  target for understanding  epidemic  stage  and
calculating  fatality  rates.19,20   The  under-ascertainment  for
COVID19  is  likely  a  function  of  reliance  on  PCR  for  case
identification  which  misses  convalescent  cases,  early spread  in  the
absence  of systematic  testing, and  asymptomatic  or lightly
symptomatic  infections  that  go undetected.

https://tinyurl.com/ydgsj8av