[ExI] The Soul

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:02:16 UTC 2020

John--just because most things we know about are soulish does not mean that
everything is.  I don't think the CMBR is necessarily soulish.  It also
comes in degrees.  A single atom bopping about is soulish on the atom level
but not on a higher level of abstraction, as compared to a molecule.

Again, I think souls are 'leaky' and I don't think things quite 'have'
souls.  If it were black and white, sure, your argument against mine might
hold weight.  But for example it's like saying "everything has mass or
energy"--doesn't mean they are all the same and that the concept is
invalid.  The contrast is within degrees of the descriptor term itself.

On your brain idea: would you still discount the fact that that foreign
part had less influence than the closer parts?  I also make no mention of
distance, as it is relative.

However, you say "sometimes", that distant part (let's say nodally distant
to distinguish from metric distance) is used for the computation, well I am
comparing that to parts that are *always* used for the computation.  Like I
said, leaky and ill-defined, and I have had numerous disagreements with
those who believe in heaven/hell or transmigration of the soul because I
haven't found a satisfactorily rational way that there could possibly be
some kind of lossless translation of soul from 'being' to 'being'--whatever
the hell they are.

Let's not even use the word 'soul'--is 'system' a better word?  Clearly an
atom has something different about it than a mess of subatomic particles
reeling to and fro.  And similarly a solar system different from the
detritus of a supernova.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 9:22 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <