[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 21:08:22 UTC 2020

Hi Ben,

You asked:

“Now why on earth would the experience of redness suddenly become the
experience of greenness? *How* could it?”

By simply inverting the red green signal anywhere in the causal chain of
events that is perception as proven can be done here
<https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness/> (skip to the “Inverted
Perception” part).

It remains a fact that you could engineer (using just such inversions both
upstream and downstream from physical knowledge) one robot to represent red
knowledge with your redness, and another robot to represent red with your
greenness.  See “Inverted Qualia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_spectrum>”)  They could both pick
strawberries equally well.

You seem to be admitting that you only use one word for all things “red”.
That is the definition of “Qualia Blindness”.  In that world there is
an “explanatory
gap <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explanatory_gap>” because you need at
least two words (red and redness) to model simple effing of the ineffable
ideas like: “My redness is like your greenness, both of which we call
red.”  As long as we remain qualia blind, nobody can know the true physical
color of anything.

It's not a "hard mind body problem" it's just a color problem.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 9:50 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <