[ExI] state of conflict technology

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 14:22:23 UTC 2020

This is perfectly compatible with libertarianism, which recognizes that
prohibition is a failure.

Living near San Francisco, I also recognize that removing all restrictions
on dope is also a failure.   spike

Being new to libertarianism long ago, I was in favor of no laws governing
what I could put in my mouth, including prescription drugs.  Young and
foolish, I was.  And just too naive about people.  There are people of all
IQ levels who have no sense at all about abusing their bodies and minds.
There are good reasons, I now know, for letting physicians be the
gatekeeper re what chemicals we can buy.  Maybe you and I could handle just
about anything, but most (?) people can't.  They would be dying by the
millions with free access to prescription drugs and illegal drugs (though
there would be no illegal drugs under my youthful plan).

Some of you know what a pinch hitter is.  One of those is my daily dose of
pot.

Scare tactics don't work.  Prohibition doesn't work.  You probably have
heard of that Mischel study of kids, some of whom waited for a second treat
and some wanted it right now, and the later success in life of those who
waited.  What if this can be learned?  Along with other things in life
which we should wait for (sex, for one - I would teach and encourage
masturbation).  This would be teaching emotional control. I am not sure we
know just how to do that, but I think we need to learn and teach it to
parents and to school kids.   I would teach both abstention and moderation.
The first is the only cure for those who, when taking a first hit of
something, act like it was priming the pump and continue to take more and
more until they pass out.  No moderation is possible with brains like
that.  My use of alcohol was a bit like that.

bill w

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 11:28 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <