[ExI] Essential Upload Data (was: Subject: Boltzmann brains)

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:25:26 UTC 2020

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 8:07 AM Re Rose via extropy-chat <

*> Agreed, it's easier to get faster cooling rates (although that's not
> always better, depending on the physical properties of the tissue and the
> ability to homogeneously cool without causing stress fractiures...)*

I don't think cracks is a major problem in cryonics because with a clean
crack it should be pretty obvious what part went where before the crack
formed and so could be repaired. I'm much more worried about the liquid in
the brain undergoing chaotic turbulence as it freezes because if it does
then very small differences in initial conditions could lead to huge
differences in outcome; but fortunately most indications are the flow would
be Laminar, at least when the cryopreservation is done under ideal
conditions.

*> I think any upload is problematic. I believe there are two problems that
> will be really hard to solve: first, preserving the cyclic, dynamical
> environment of non-neural information available in the body such as
> hormonal cycles or feedback from non-neural neurotransmitters (such as from
> your gut) is difficult, with no solution on the horizon.*

Why on earth would emulating hormones be especially difficult? Hormone
signals are very slow, much less than one meter per second; the signals in
a AI move at 300,000,000 meters a second. The Shannon information content
is small, there are only about 200 hormones in the human body. And Hormone
signals move by random diffusion and blood circulation so their target is
not very specific. If your job is delivering packages and the packages are
very small, and your boss will be satisfied if you just deliver them to the
correct continent, and you have until the start of the next millennium to
do it, then you don't have a very demanding job.

> *> Second, your cortex is specifically wired to accomodate your body, with
> all its quirks, balances, habits, accomodations, skillz, and tics. Every
> human body is different*

The cortex is also wired to learn new things. Experiments show that even
when people wear glasses that make everything look upside down they soon
learn to get used to it and perform normally. The same was true for glasses
that invert left and right, one subject safely road his motorcycle through
a crowded city with no problem.

We quickly adjust to seeing everything upside-down
<https://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/nov/12/improbable-research-seeing-upside-down>

John K Clark