[ExI] what did we learn?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 21:44:49 UTC 2020

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 1:40 PM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> On 02/11/2020 17:09, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> > I trust that you have a multilayer (sic) and nuanced thought process
> > that was overly summarized to that clickbait-y sentiment.
>
> Why thank you, sir. I didn't think I was capable of writing clickbait!
> (or even clickbait-y). On second thoughts, cancel that. I'm insulted, I
> am. Clickbait indeed!

No, no.. stick with the first thoughts.  I assumed your musings were not in
the vein that I had taken from the literal wording.

> But, Nope. Nothing multilayered or nuanced about it. As I said, just
> some musing for discussion. Just wondering that I haven't heard this
> idea before.
>
> "All we have to do to solve our current woes is "ban" the internet"
>
> That doesn't follow, and is not at all my point (it's also terrible use
> of quotation marks, just saying :-D). I remember the bad old days when
> there was no internet. I also remember the good old days when it was
> young, and the sky seemed the limit. Not nearly so impressed now,
> although I wouldn't want to (couldn't, in fact) do without it.

Of course it follows.  If the source of our current woes is drunk driving,
we ban drinking and therefore the problem is solved.  It's really very
simple when there is a single cause to a complex problem.

which style of quoting would you prefer:
  "All we have to do to solve our current woes is 'ban' the internet"
or
  "All we have to do to solve our current woes is \"ban\" the internet"

:p

> "I'm using extreme examples; I admit"
>
> Do you also admit that they're so extreme as to be pointless?

Yes, I concede that all human endeavors are pointless so why should this be
different?

> "I haven't decided if this anthropomorphic Humanity is a "terrible twos"
> baby or a pubescent tween.  Too bad we don't have an older sibling role
> model.  :)"
>
> Exactly. I'm no more suggesting we 'ban the internet' (as you say, a
> silly idea) than you would suggest imprisoning babies or pubescent
> youths because of their immaturity.

I guess my point was more in line with scapegoating the internet as an
obvious solution once it's identified as THE cause of our current woes.