[ExI] what did we learn?

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Tue Nov 3 13:18:31 UTC 2020

On 03/11/2020 05:34, Mike Dougherty wrote:

>     "I haven't decided if this anthropomorphic Humanity is a "terrible
>     twos"
>     baby or a pubescent tween.  Too bad we don't have an older sibling
>     role
>     model.  :)"
>
>     Exactly. I'm no more suggesting we 'ban the internet' (as you say, a
>     silly idea) than you would suggest imprisoning babies or pubescent
>     youths because of their immaturity.
>

> I guess my point was more in line with scapegoating the internet as an
> obvious solution once it's identified as THE cause of our current woes.

Maybe I was too clickbait-y, and sidetracked myself. What I was supposed
to be suggesting was: What if it's our /use/ of the internet (not the
internet itself) that's the biggest problem? Analogy with fire. Or
knives. Or just about any technology, really.

"All we have to do to solve our current woes is "ban" the internet"

     That doesn't follow, ...

"Of course it follows.  If the source of our current woes is drunk
driving, we ban drinking and therefore the problem is solved.  It's
really very simple when there is a single cause to a complex problem."

'Banning the internet' only follows if you're a politician or
journalist. They seem to be the main people who think (or behave as
though they think) things are that simple.

I think the equivalent here is banning driving (the technology), not
banning drinking (the behaviour). And of course, in practice, we don't
ban either, we ban the specific combination of driving while drunk.

And I think I'd prefer "All we have to do to solve our current woes is
'ban' the internet". Using escape characters would probably escape most
people, and they'd just think they were typos.

--
Ben Zaiboc