[ExI] COVID-19

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:41:09 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:51 AM Darin Sunley via extropy-chat <

> In the specific case of Tennessee, I believe that.

I doubt TN is the only one doing that.

Unfortunately, the national number is an aggregation of numbers from dozens
> of different jurisdictions with standards that have varied significantly
> over both geography and time. The GIGO factor is through the roof.

Same is true globally: every country is different.

It doesn't help matters that the [allegedly] hardest-hit geographical
> regions are also the ones with long-established histories of
> media-manipulation shenanigans, /and/ the strongest motives to engage in
> such at this particular moment.

Oops...we're straying into forbidden territory here. I think that fudging
the numbers is incentivized pretty much everywhere that politics is
involved...so, everywhere. Some places may gain from boosting
their numbers; others from deflating them. Believing "your" numbers are
good and "their" numbers are bad is naive.

-Dave