[ExI] probability

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 01:22:45 UTC 2021

On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 at 11:32, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *…*> *On Behalf Of *Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
>
> >…It’s much more basic with many than not being able to use Bayes’
> theorem. I have met people in the last year who are unable to compare two
> probabilities. Informed that there is a 1/100 chance of dying from COVID
> and 1/million chance of dying from the vaccine, their response has been, “I
> still don’t want the vaccine, because what if I’m that 1 in a million?”
>
> --
>
> Stathis Papaioannou
>

> Informed by who?  Statis, if informed by someone that there is a 1/100
> chance of dying from covid, that is easily disproven with public domain
> data.  If someone claimed there is 1 a million risk of dying from the
> vaccine, it asks the question: how is that calculated?  We don’t know the
> long-term effects of that vaccine.  We know the risk of dying immediately
> perhaps (actually we don’t (because that information in the USA is 4th
> amendment protected.))
>

> By reducing it to the numbers you call out, it sounds a lot like
> one-size-fits-all medicine.  But the real picture is far more complex.  I
> would develop a distrust of the person calling out those numbers.

My point is that they don’t dispute the numbers, they say that they are
more afraid of the vaccine even if the numbers are correct. They have a
problem with mathematics, or perhaps they have a superstitious belief that
despite the numbers they are personally at greater risk from the vaccine.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou