[ExI] Google AI low-resolution photo enhancemen

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 16:41:31 UTC 2021

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 8:49 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *…*> *On Behalf Of *Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] Google AI low-resolution photo enhancemen
>

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 8:24 AM Dave Sill via extropy-chat <
>
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 5:34 AM BillK via extropy-chat <
>
> You are obviously correct in saying that to start with a low-res photo
> and create a high-res photo involves adding information that is not
> present in the original. Nobody is disputing that.
>

> They are if they think that photos can be enhanced to identify perps.
>

> "Our algorithm identified the perp (when we asked it to determine if this
> image was more likely to be the person we already wanted to convict, or a
> lamp post)." spike
>

> Missing in this discussion is the statistical nature of this algorithm.  A
> grainy image cannot identify a perp.  A thousand grainy imagines can.

Missing in that rebuttal is mention of the police who have no intention of
using these tools to discover the truth (not that they are always opposed
to it - just, they don't care), but instead to support their preconceived
biases and help them convict whoever they want regardless of whether the
arrestee really did it.