[ExI] People often think their chatbot is alive

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 05:40:37 UTC 2022

On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 6:39 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 5:29 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <
>
>> I suspect this is the example your illustration is trying to posit.
>>

> Exactly.  I completely agree.  All three of the systems can tell you the
> strawberry is "red".  That is what you are talking about.
> I'm talking about something different.  I want to know the intrinsic
> qualities of things in nature, not just the coolness qualities things seem
> to have.  I want to know the specific intrinsic qualities of your
> knowledge of red things, and how they are, or aren't different from mine.
> You don't seem to care about knowing the intrinsic colorness qualities in
> nature.  I'd like to better understand physical reality and what it is
> like, and how computation directly on those intrinsic qualities is
> different from abstract computation.  You seem to not care about this.

This seems to be mostly correct.  What this misses is that you declare
that, because a certain abstract computation (consciousness) can be
achieved in one set of physical ways, those are the only ways it can ever
be achieved.  I do not make that assumption, as I have seen too many cases
where that assumption would have proven incorrect, and I see no evidence to
suggest that it is any different for consciousness.

> As I pointed out to Stathis, this cannot be denied
>>>

>> It can be and is being denied.
>>

> So you think Descartes was wrong when he said: "I think, therefore I am."

That is not what I think, and that is not a conclusion that logically
follows from what I said.

> And you think the quality of your experience of that pencil, may have some
> other quality than your yellowness?
> Can I ask you what other colorness quality your knowledge of that pencil
> may have?  And how would you know that it isn't your yellowness quality?
> And may I ask if it isn't your knowledge that has the yellowness quality
> you experience, what is it that does have the yellowness quality you do
> experience?

I know what you mean here, but considering that I was recently looking at a
purple mechanical pencil, my experience of it did indeed have a quality
other than my yellowness.