[ExI] Nobody knows the true colors of things, on this day of color.

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 16:51:33 UTC 2022

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 8:17 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> An "intrinsic" property of an object does not depend on how it is
> perceived.   adrian
>
> How can there be a property of something that does not depend on our
> perception of it?

By existing independent of whether we perceive it.

If a tomato reflects photons of a wavelength in the red range and no other
photons out of a white range of photons, but those particular photons all
fall on the ground, nearby plants, or other things that are neither eyes
nor cameras, it has still reflected only those photons out of a white range
of photons and is thus still red.

> I think that what something is is dependent on what we think it is

You may think that, but it is incorrect.  There are a lot of people wishing
really hard about certain aspects of the world - certain measurable aspects
of the war in Ukraine come to mind.  Literally, they are trying to think of
it as something other than what it is, in the sense of "what we think it
is" that you meant.  As can be easily observed in many cases, they are
having no effect on what it is.