[ExI] Is Artificial Life Conscious?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Thu May 12 23:07:17 UTC 2022

Hi Spike,

I agree with you, but I think functionalists like Stathis disagree.  And
functionalism seems to be the leading popular consensus.
Even Stathis admits his knowledge of a strawberry has a redness quality,
which is different from greenness, and if redness changed to greenness, it
would be different, i.e. it's quality is dependent on the quality of
whatever substrate that is.  What I don't understand is how anyone can
think redness, itself, can "arise" from (or superveen on?)  different
substrates with different properties in a substrate independent way.  And
even if that was the case, that there was some function, from which
"redness" could arize, that would still be a physical fact, the quality of
which consciousness would be dependent on.

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 4:36 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <