[ExI] us

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 17:16:44 UTC 2022

William James called this entirely faith-based non-critical approach to
belief "second-hand religion." Christopher Hitchens stated a number of
times in his writing that most religions are borne out of a need to be
governed, a need to place control of your own life in the hands of a
benevolent dictator called God. When in North Korea he observed that the
general response to a public appearance by Kim Jong Il seemed very much
like religious hysteria. I think religion often remains unexamined because
the personal impulses that drive people towards it remain unexamined. Fear
of death, fear of uncertainty. fear of being alone, etc.

D.

On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 at 19:21, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <