[ExI] for longer life

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Tue May 2 21:42:28 UTC 2023

On 02/05/2023 21:17, billw wrote:
> I have crossed 60 and now 63, I observed aging is very fast, how can I
> slow down aging till death?
> Don’t do anything. Don’t walk. It wears out your cartilage/padding in
> your knees. Other joints similar. Just do enough so that you can move
> around a bit. Exercise is for athletes.
> Don’t eat. Lose weight and keep it off and eat the minimum to keep you
> alive. Mostly leafy green things.
> Get out of all of your relationships as fast as you can. They produce
> far more stress than pleasure.
> Get a dog, preferably a slow one, like a Bassett hound. They are very
> undemanding - like cats, which are fine too, though the blasted things
> do die and that’s stress, so these are optional.
> Optimism and pessimism are often wrong - stress again- avoid. Take
> what comes. Look into Stoicism and Lucretius.
> If all you want is length, these will suffice.
> bill w

Congratulations, Bill.

One day, you'll catch up to me ;>

I've observed that ageing does seem to speed up, but I wouldn't say it's
got 'very fast'. Of course, it's a lottery, there's a ton of different
genetic factors, and you've just got to take your ticket and see if
you've won anything. Personally, I don't have any real complaints (in
both senses), so far.

I agree with spike, re 'no exercise'. I find that exercise is essential,
more so as I get older. It is a balance between wearing out and rusting
up, but I've found that the rusting up happens faster, and probably diet
has a lot to do with it as well. I try to follow a low-carb diet, which
seems to be good for damping down systemic inflammation, which causes a
lot of the damage and contributes to the 'wearing out'. I also do some
mild yoga-type stretching and bending every morning, to keep my joints
from stiffening up, and keep my muscles from tightening up. Maintaining
your range of movement helps enormously, I find, in many ways. Also, a
little mild cardiovascular exercise every day if possible - run, cycle,
or swim. And taking days off, to do absolutely FA.

Definitely agree with the weight advice. Although being low-carb, I eat
more than the conventionally-recommended amounts of fat and meat. Helps
with appetite control, I've found.

Relationships - that's a personal thing, and personality plays a bit
part in whether that's going to be stressful or not.

Pets - I have an open mind. I've had no pets, and had pets, and I've no
real leanings either way. Pros and cons each way. I Prefer cats to dogs,
though. Dogs are too dependent.

Stress - too much is not good but so is not enough. My job gives me just
enough stress, and although I keep threatening to retire, I still enjoy
it enough to keep going.

One thing you didn't mention - nutritional supplements. I've been taking
megadoses of various vitamins for a long time now, and as long as you
keep track of the fatty vitamins, and be careful not to overdose on the
ones that can cause problems, there are benefits, I think. I'm certainly
happy to have 'expensive pee' in exchange for the possible benefits. B
vitamins especially, I take massive amounts of them.

Also, it helps if you maintain an active mind and have an interest in
things. Keep learning, stay curious, make a fool of yourself every so
often, and have a laugh (I reckon spike is going to live forever).

Music! Appreciating it, learning it, making it, destroying it. Great
fun. I like playing with both traditional and electronic instruments,
making (trying to, at least!) my own, and making dreadful noises.
Speaking of which, learn a language or two - good for your grey cells
(Ich lerne Deutsch) and a good excuse to travel and annoy foreigners.

And appreciate the fact that you have more knowledge and (hopefully)
wisdom than ever before. Well ok, more experience at least!

Finally, argue with people on Exi-Chat.

Any more tips from anyone?

Ben