[ExI] Zombies are logically inconsistent: a proof

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Thu May 18 02:12:08 UTC 2023

On Wed, May 17, 2023, 9:40 AM Gadersd via extropy-chat <

> Yes I think they accept this. If it's logically possible for a physically
> identical being to behave in all manners in the same ways, and not be
> conscious, then there can be no test to determine if another is conscious.
>
> Moreover, there can be no test anyone could perform to know they're not
> themselves a zombie (this point is often overlooked by believers in zombies
> but it follows from their belief that qualia have no effects in the world).
>

> Isn’t “I think therefore I am” a sufficient observation to prove
> self-consciousness to oneself?

Exactly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6paid6fgr8o7ybq/bent_pencil.png?dl=0

You have subjective knowledge of that pencil.  Even though you can doubt
that the pencil out there is bent, as it seems, or that it even exist (if
you are a brain in a vat) but you can't doubt that your knowledge of that
pencil is bent, nor can you doubt the false colored quality of that
knowledge.

Objective descriptions of that knowledge we get through our senses can't
tell you what that quality is like, till we connect that objective
description with the way we subjectively experience the same.  Once we
experimentally demonstrate that, we will then know the true qualities of
things (have the required dictionary grounding of what our abstracting
senses detect) then we will not only objectively  know what is and isn't
conscious, we will know what it is like.  Along with knowing the true
qualities of everything.

In my opinion, once you understand those easy and absolute facts about
qualities, all this talk of zombies is a waste of time.

Even if zombies are possible people can still apply this observation to